Why feeding water birds bread is harmful:
- Duckling Malnutrition: In an area where ducks are regularly fed bread, ducklings will not receive adequate nutrition for proper growth and development. Furthermore, because ducks will naturally seek out an easy food source such as human handouts, ducklings will not learn to forage for natural foods as easily.
- Overcrowding: Where an easy food source is abundant, ducks and other waterfowl will lay more eggs and the pond or lake will become overcrowded. This makes it more difficult for the birds to seek out healthier food sources and increases the likelihood of territorial aggression.
- Pollution: When too much bread is offered to ducks, not all of it will be eaten. The soggy, uneaten bread is unsightly and rotting bread can create noxious odors as well as lead to greater algae growth that can clog natural waterways. This concentrates the pollution and can eventually eradicate fish and other life in the vicinity.
- Diseases: Feeding ducks bread can increase the spread of diseases in two ways. First, a carbohydrate-rich diet leads to greater defecation, and bird feces easily harbor bacteria responsible for numerous diseases, including avian botulism. Second, moldy bread can cause aspergillosis, a fatal lung infection that can decimate entire duck and waterfowl flocks.
- Pest Attraction: Rotting supplies of food leftover from sated ducks will attract other unwelcome pests such as rats, mice and insects. These pests can also harbor additional diseases that can be dangerous to humans.
- Loss of Natural Behaviour: When birds become accustomed to handouts, they lose their natural fear of humans and may become aggressive in order to get more food. Their loss of fear can also cause other dangers, such as a willingness to cross busy roads in order to reach picnickers and other likely sources of food.
Good Foods to Feed Ducks:
The best foods for ducks are those that provide the nutrients, minerals and vitamins the birds need for healthy growth and development. Many of these foods are similar to the natural seeds, grains and plants the birds will forage on their own. As omnivorous birds, ducks will eat a great deal of different foods, and the best foods to offer ducks include:
- Cracked corn
- Wheat, barley or similar grains
- Oats (uncooked; rolled or quick)
- Rice (cooked or uncooked)
- Birdseed (any type or mix)
- Grapes (cut in half)
- Frozen peas or corn (defrosted, no need to cook)
- Mealworms (fresh or dried)
- Chopped lettuce or other greens or salad mixes
- Vegetable trimmings or peels (chopped)
- Duck feed pellets or poultry starter pellets (x)
NOOOO NO NO NONO FUCK FUCK FUCKIG CBS IS TELLING WOMEN NOT TO REPORT SEXUAL HARASSMENT BECAUSE IT WILL “DAMAGE THEIR CAREERS” and “HARASSMENT IS AN UNFORTUNATE PART OF CLIMBING THE LADDER” I AM SO ANGRY THEY ARE LITERALLY TURNING SEXUAL HARASSMENT INTO A NORM THIS IS NOT OKAY
This is an actual article and I’m still having a hard time believing it’s real.
IF YOU ARE SEXUALLY HARRASSED YOU REPORT THAT SHIT
WhAT THE HELL?? HOW COULD THIS EXIST?
teach your kids to be nice to each other. it makes me livid when i see kids who are mocked and friendless. it’s always seen as this shameful thing to say you were bullied, the word itself is glib and brings to mind images of kids throwing insults around like “four eyes”, shit no one really cares about. in reality i have yet to see a kid who was bullied throughout their life that didn’t develop self-deprecating, mistrustful coping mechanisms. isolation and degradation is psychological abuse, shoving a kid around, throwing someone into a locker, giving them a black eye is physical abuse. a lot of times bullying intersects with sexism, racism, homophobia, transphobia. it’s not light hearted, “school yard bullying” is actually sick behavior that has a lasting impact throughout a person’s life. and just saying, idt the corny anti-bullying posters and half assed speeches school faculties throw around are helping the situation either. if anything they make bullied kids feel embarrassed about their very legitimate problems and reluctant to speak out.
When Stuyvesant says that women’s dress and bodies are distraction in a learning environment, for example, what they’re really saying is that they’re distracting to male students. The default student we are concerned about - the student whose learning we want to ensure is protected - is male. Never mind how “distracting” it is to be pulled from class, humiliated, and made to change outfits - publicly degrading young women is small price to pay to make sure that a boy doesn’t have to suffer through the momentary distraction of glancing at a girl’s legs. When this dentist in Iowa can fire his assistant for turning him on - even though she’s done absolutely nothing wrong - the message again is that it’s men’s ability to work that’s important.
And when rape victims are blamed for the crime committed against them, the message is the same: This is something that happened to the perpetrator, who was driven to assault by a skirt, or a date, or the oh-so-sexy invitation of being passed out drunk. Women have infringed on their right to exist without being turned on. (Ta-Nehisi Coates describes this centering of male sexual vulnerability quite well.) Our very presence is a disruption of the male status quo.
If humans were in the picture, this would be called a genocide, a holocaust. The people in charge would be called evil, their acts: Torture and murder. But because this is happening to animals who are not humans, it is seen as “farming”, “the circle of life”, and worst of all: “Normal”.
This is NOT acceptable.
i think you're super cool but i mean dude people are allowed to have their own opinions on how and what they eat. i respect you for being vegan please try to respect me/others for NOT being vegan
I need to take a megaphone to the closest mountain top so I can scream this from the skies, in hope that this argument finally dies.
Difference in opinion DOES NOT warrant mutual respect.
Your opinion defends everything that I stand against.
Your opinion encourages the continuance of an institutionalized oppression that has an annual body count of 150 billion strong.
Your opinion takes the lives of loving, feeling, thinking sentient beings and reduces them to fucking nothing. Then you strip them of their victimhood by insisting this is just about what you put in your mouth.
Your opinion silences the screams of suffering bellowed out by those affected by it. So confident that nothing you are doing is wrong that you have the audacity to come to me and try to silence my words on behalf of them?
If you want some reassurance that you are allowed to have your opinion then go bask in the glow of the billions of others that share it with you and the society that encourages it. Don’t invade the place I come to hide and demand respect. Because you sure as fuck aren’t going to get any reassurance or respect from me because there is absolutely fucking NOTHING about your opinion worthy of respect.
I’m vegan for the animals but also for my health. There are people who are vegan for their health like my aunt and uncle.
You don’t avoid leather and animal tested products for your health. You can be on a plant-based diet for your health, and although a plant-based diet is part of being a vegan, it’s not the only thing.
Greyhound races are an unnecessary and cruel form of entertainment for humans, as the animals are often kept in cramped cages for long hours, and can succumb to injury, heart attacks and heat stroke due to the racing. Though more and more greyhounds are being properly retired when their racing days are over, many are still abandoned, shot, sent to overcrowded shelters or to medical laboratories. [Source]
i’m giving away this binder
about a year or more ago, i applied for the “in a bind” program, which gives free binders to trans people who can’t pay for them. in the intervening year since i applied, i got a binder myself. and forgot that they might actually send me one. so i got this for free and i want to pass it on to someone who actually needs a binder. it’s brand fuckin new. i tried it on once. it’s pretty similar to this underworks binder, it’s full-length, tanktop style, with 2 layers in the front and 1 layer in the back. it’s a size “small” and it’s a bit small on me: my bra size is a 34A if that helps. it would probably fit someone whose band size is a 32. please message me if you’re interested. i’m down to ship it anywhere in the US but if you live outside the US and want to throw me a lil $ for shipping that would rock (but isnt required like if you really cant afford it i’ll ship it myself).
this reminds me of that one time when we had money
the stereotype that women talk more than men is infinitely amusing to me because men are literally incapable of shutting the fuck up
i hope this post gets popular enough that i hurt a man’s feelings
It’s not a stereotype it’s a proven fact you femanazi piece of shit.
lmao there it is
You wanna talk proven facts? This shit’s been done, son: researcher Dale Spencer in Australia used audio and video tape to independently evaluate who talked the most in mixed-gender university classroom discussions. Regardless of the gender ratio of the students, whether the instructor was deliberately trying to encourage female participation or not, men always talked more—whether the metric was minutes of talking or number of words spoken.
Moreover, men literally have no clue how much they talk. When Spencer asked students to evaluate their perception of who talked more in a given discussion, women were pretty accurate; but men perceived the discussion as being “equal” when women talked only 15% of the time, and the discussion as being dominated by women if they talked only 30% of the time.
Spencer’s conclusion, if I may parahprase: you only think we talk too much because you’d rather we were silent.
Don’t fuck with me, asshole, I’m a scientist.
"you only think we talk too much because you’d rather we were silent."
holy shit u guise